Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Hearnish 10K-ish: A race report-ish

This past Saturday was the fourth Freezeroo race, the Hearnish 10K (which is a certified 6.385 mile course) and possibly the toughest course of the series.  I have rough memories of this race after last year (mostly my own fault), so I was not looking forward this race very much.  Thus, I'm not really going to write a full race report but rather steal a bunch of pictures from random places.  
From the beginning of the race last year.  This was the coldest race that year (and still not as cold as many of the days this year)...Not sure what was going through my head that day.
Joe, Matt, and I hanging out before the race.  I got a little smarter this year.  Clothes are good.
Ready to go! (Kind of)
Leading the charge (half-asleep)

Thanks to Josh for this elevation graph of the course.  It's not flat.  Couple that with a stiff headwind for miles 2 and 3, and you don't have a fast course. 
Basically, I started fast, slowed drastically for miles 2 and 3, sped up a lot for mile 4, borderline walked up that hill in mile 5, and tried to mentally recover from that for a fast finish. 
Trying to finish strongly.
I came through first in a time of 36:48; it was a good workout and an improvement of over half a minute over the year before, most likely due to the extra clothing.  Next up for me is the fifth Freezeroo Race, the Valentines Run.

Thanks to Rochester Runner Pics for the photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment